Wednesday, January 28, 2015

#2: Not That Kind Of Girl by Lena Dunham

Twenty-something writer/director Lena Dunham sums up her life thus far in a warts-and-all autobiography called Not That Kind Of Girl.

Dunham comes from New York, and a background of some privilege; as a middle-aged, middle-class midwestern guy, I am probably not the audience for this book.  That being said, I enjoyed Dunham's frank, often funny, stories about her life from childhood, through a progressive college experience, and later successes and failures (that led her to the creation of the popular HBO program Girls).

I was interested enough to rent Girls from Netflix, and enjoyed it; but like her book, I can see that it is not for all tastes and in fact could be very polarizing to some audiences.

But I would recommend the book to those interested in Dunham and her current TV series.  I listened to this on audiobook, read by the author, which I think enhanced the experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment